Wednesday, 14 September 2011

The Girl in the Green Scarf.



If you're currently reading this, then I'm guessing you're probably female; enjoy the odd clothes related purchase; and so you probably have seen the movie "Confessions of a Shopaholic". Well I know I have anyway: I read the book, went to see the movie, bought it when I heard it was released on DVD, and on average, I watch it at least 4 times a year. Why? Because it made me feel so much better about myself, knowing that there are people whose shopping habits are WAYYYY more out of control than my own.

Anyway, you know that part of the movie when Rebbecca walks into that beautiful store (on the way to an interview, come on Rebbecca, really), when she spots the lovely green scarf in the window; and then, as she's about to leave the store, the mannequin comes to life and starts giving her all these reasons as to why she should buy it. Like, how it would become part of a definition of her, how it would make her hair cut look more expensive, and how she would wear it with everything.

Well, When I was shopping the other day, this actually happened to me. I know, it sounds like I've positively gone mad, but maybe when you see the item, you'll understand.
I'm moving away for a couple years to study, so, the other day I was moving my things into my flat, and I decided it would be a good idea to go job hunting, seen as how I actually am a real life Rebbecca Bloomwood (did I mention that I bought a green scarf after seeing that movie? The mannequin in the movie did an excellent job). After a while me and my sister decided to take a break and go for a fruity detox, when I caught sight of this coat, almost waving at me from the depths of this beautifully alluring store. I unknowingly ditched Rach, and raced over, I didn't want to be rude, I mean after all, it did wave.

We stood face to face.
Black, my favorite colour.
Woolen, like melted butter on my finger tips.
And the draped collar was bound with a slick black leather.
If I was to buy this beautiful piece of craftsmanship: how beautifully cut: I would be ripping them off for the price it was retailed at.
And if I was to buy this, beautiful, beautiful creation, I would play Alicia Billington in THAT movie.
It would make me look more striking, yet mysterious.
It would make my hair look longer.
It would make my the rest of my outfit, and me, look more well thoughtful: These are the words of the mannequin wearing the coat, NOT me.

It would be an investment.




No comments:

Post a Comment